Trouble with the Law

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Misc. Travel Tips and other Hotels topics.

What should I do if I get arrested in another country?

Trouble with the Law

If you find yourself in trouble with the law while in another country, (whether you're guilty or not), remember * You are not necessarily innocent until proven guilty * You have not automatically got the right to speak to an attorney * You only have the "rights" of that country. You are a visitor in a foreign land and the rights you enjoy in the USA do not travel with you. Do not under any circumstances become aggressive or threatening. The best thing to do if you are allowed, is to contact the nearest American Embassy or consulate. Their powers are limited; they can't spring you from jail or provide bail, but they can help to get you in contact with family and counsel.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Hotels Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Lynda Moultry